Are you looking for some unaffordable accommodation options? Today’s your lucky day.
Tourists have been dumbfounded at the amazingly high rates of Dublin accommodation over Paddy’s Day weekend.
The weekend, which expects to see approximately 30,000 tourists visit from across the globe, is undoubtedly the busiest weekend of the year for Irish accommodation owners.
However, the room rates for the weekend have been raised so high that many tourists are apprehensive about visiting for the celebrations.
Affordable accommodation in Dublin – non-existent over Paddy’s Day weekend
Dublin hospitality is seizing the day for Paddy’s Day and making the most out of the busiest tourist holiday of the year in the only way they know how: by raising their rates.
With 94% of the city’s accommodation already booked on Booking.com, the remaining 6% has been increased to baffling rates.
Are you looking to spend more than €1,000 for one night in a hotel in the west of the city? Not a problem; you and one other lucky guest can bunk in together for €1,200.
Another room in an apartment in the Docklands is listed for €1,350, with the impressive reduced rate of €1,215 if you don’t want the comfort of free cancellation.
How about a hostel bed? – more affordable, but not by much
Okay, so private rooms are clearly off the cards for the shoestring budget travellers. Hostels are always the more affordable option, right? We’ve got your back with another fantastic deal, friends.
For the low price of €509, you can share a dormitory with seven strangers. Realistically, this is great; you’re essentially paying for seven new friends, so that’s actually a fantastic bargain. If you think that’s too expensive, that’s your problem and nobody else’s.
What about a lovely family-run B&B? – sorry, friend, you’ll still have to pay the piper
Small family-run guest houses also tend to be cheaper, but not on St. Patrick’s Day.
One guest house, in particular, had rooms earlier in March priced at €304 for two persons sharing. Those same rooms are listed at €1,664 for one night on Paddy’s weekend.
If you’re anything like us, you just vomited in your mouth a little at the thought. Not to worry, that will surely add a kick to your breakfast, which we can only assume is an add-on.
It’s not just city centre rates that have risen either. One location in Dun Laoghaire is priced at €689, a rate that would be around €119 any other weekend. The lowest price currently listed on Booking.com starts at €390 for a double room, with the next being €396 for a shared dormitory.
Tourists are reported as being disgusted with the rate of interest, and understandably so. What do you think of these inflated rates? Will you still join in the celebrations despite them?