Pancake Tuesday is just around the corner. So, if you’re looking for the perfect recipe to mark the day, we’ve got just the one for you.
Okay, it might be a stereotype, but we cannot deny that it holds some truth. In Ireland, we add Guinness to EVERYTHING. From cocktails to cakes to Christmas puddings to pie, nothing is safe from a hint of Guinness.
We might be biased, but we think it adds an extra layer of flavour and goes a long way to improving the taste of any dish. With a malty sweetness and a hoppy bitterness, it is the ideal addition to anything, sweet or savoury.
Not convinced? Pancake Tuesday is the perfect time to try adding a little bit of Irish stout to a classic recipe. Read on to discover our ultimate guide to making the best Guinness pancakes imaginable. Once you’ve tried it, you’ll never go back to regular pancakes; just wait and see.
The ingredients you’ll need for delicious Guinness pancakes – regular pancakes with a hoppy twist
We all have our own favourite pancake recipe, so if you want to go with the one you know best, then feel free. Just substitute about half the portion of milk for Guinness, and you can enjoy a delicious Guinness flavour.
However, if you want to follow our recipe, we’ve got you. Here are all the ingredients you’ll need to make some epic Guinness pancakes:
- 175g plain flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 125ml milk
- 125ml Guinness
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 50g dark chocolate chips
- Baileys or Guinness whipped cream
The method – our step-by-step process for success
If you’re having people over this Pancake Tuesday and want to show them exactly how it’s done, follow our simple step-by-step process for delicious Guinness pancakes below.
- First, measure out all of your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and salt). Mix them all together in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, combine your wet ingredients (Guinness and milk) and mix them together in a jug.
- Make a well in your dry mixture, crack your egg in the centre, and begin to whisk. Slowly add the Guinness and milk mixture as you whisk.
- Once these are mixed, add your vanilla extract to add a nice, sweet flavour.
- Once your ingredients are well combined, it’s time to cook your Guinness pancakes. Start by heating some butter in a large frying pan, adding a couple of tablespoons of the melted butter to your pancake mix.
- At this point, you can add your chocolate chips if you so desire.
- Once your pan is heated, spoon 1-2 large tablespoons of pancake mix into the pan and smooth into circles. Ensure your pancakes are thin enough that they’ll cook through but not so thin that they’ll fall apart when you try to flip them.
- Cook for a few minutes and watch for them to start bubbling. At this point, it’s time to flip! (Just make sure the underside has begun to brown, as the Guinness may cause extra bubbles in your pancake mix due to the stout’s aerated texture).
- Cook the other side for a couple of minutes until it becomes a nice golden brown colour.
- Repeat this process until you have no pancake batter left. Then, to finish them off, you can top with some delicious Guinness or Bailey’s whipped cream for a true Irish flavour.
So, there you have it: some epic Guinness pancakes so you can celebrate Pancake Tuesday in Irish style. Let us know if you try this recipe, and don’t forget to tag us @meanwhile.in.ireland on Instagram with your delicious pancake pictures!
Recipe credit: https://www.thelittlepancakecompany.com/guinness-pancakes/