Irish men are distinctive in their style, charm, and charisma. Curious to learn more? Here are ten little things that tell you you’re dating an Irish man.
The Irish are collectively known as being a merry bunch. We’re easy to get on with and the type of people that will welcome you with open arms.
With that being said, it comes as no surprise that the Irish are highly sought after as other halves. If the lilt of the Irish accent and the Celtic charm sounds up your street, here are ten little things that tell you you’re dating an Irish man.
- Irish men are distinctive in their style, charm, and charisma. Curious to learn more? Here are ten little things that tell you you’re dating an Irish man.
- Top tips from Meanwhile in Ireland for dating an Irish man
- 10. A pint and a roast is the key to his heart – a classic combo
- 9. He thanks the bus driver – good manners
- 8. He loves the craic – sure, who doesn’t?
- 7. He drinks tea by the bucketload – the question is Barry’s or Lyons?
- 6. An owner of at least one sports jersey – GAA, football, rugby…
- 5. There’ll be no such thing as “just one pint” – even if the intentions are true
- 4. A social butterfly – as are many Irish people
- 3. He’ll have a group of ‘lads’ – essentially just a group of mates
- 2. A lover of spuds – the food of our heritage
- 1. He loves his mammy – the other woman in his life
- Your questions answered about dating an Irish man
Top tips from Meanwhile in Ireland for dating an Irish man
While it all may be fun and games in our article, here are a few serious tips for dating an Irish man:
- Irish men have a great sense of humour and love to have the craic! So indulge it and even join in!
- Irish pub culture is a big part of life in Ireland, and no doubt the Irish man you are dating loves a trip to the pub with the lads.
- It is very important to have respect for family values if you are dating an Irish man. It is very important how you interact with his immediate family and beyond.
- Another thing to embrace and respect when dating an Irish man is Irish culture, with the likes of the GAA, Irish language and traditional music all important parts of life.
- And like any good relationship, communication is key! Talk, be open and be honest with your partner and there will be nothing to complain about!
10. A pint and a roast is the key to his heart – a classic combo
There’s something about a Sunday roast and pint of Guinness that strikes romance in the heart of any warm-blooded Irish man.
In all fairness, who can blame them? Needless to say: the two combined are a perfect pair!
9. He thanks the bus driver – good manners
The Irish are known for their friendly faces and effortless eloquence. Given this, one of the surefire things that will tell you you’re dating an Irish man is good manners.
If you spot your date thanking a bus driver, then you can be sure he’s Irish true and true.
8. He loves the craic – sure, who doesn’t?
Irish people love the craic (aka banter), and Irish men are no exception to this rule.
Expect free-flowing conversation, dry humour and witty exchanges. Also, remember to leave your ego at the door; one of the telltale signs of Irish craic is that it is a bit like mockery, but don’t take it too hard – it’s all in good jest.
And, remember: Irish people can take it as well as they give it!
7. He drinks tea by the bucketload – the question is Barry’s or Lyons?
Tea drinking is almost like a sport in Ireland, with the most accomplished in the field in the older demographic.
Saying that, champion tea drinking has been passed down through the generations, and Irish people of all ages are known to knock back at least a few cups each day. The question is: Barry’s or Lyons?
6. An owner of at least one sports jersey – GAA, football, rugby…
Another one of the things that may tell you you’re dating an Irish man is their wardrobe.
Irish sports jerseys are everyday garb for Irish men, so if you spot that he’s donning a GAA, football, or rugby jersey, you’ll know you’ve bagged a classic Irish lad. This is another good thing to know before you date an Irish person!
5. There’ll be no such thing as “just one pint” – even if the intentions are true
Irish people love to have a drink or two. In fact, we’re known worldwide for our love of liquor. And, while times are changing and sobriety is on the rise in the Emerald Isle, it is known that old habits die hard.
When you hear someone saying they’re going to the pub for “just one pint”, you can discard that comment from the get-go.
4. A social butterfly – as are many Irish people
Irish people are known to have the ‘gift of the gab’ (a colloquial term for eloquence). With that being said, we love an ole’ chin wag and could easily talk to the wall.
Expect to have non-stop chit chat and laughs when you’re dating an Irish person.
3. He’ll have a group of ‘lads’ – essentially just a group of mates
It seems most Irish men have their own group of ‘lads’. This essentially means their friendship group that consists of men, but it is another one of the things that tell you you’re dating an Irish man.
2. A lover of spuds – the food of our heritage
If you talk to any Irish person, it may become apparent that we collectively share a love for potatoes – they’re just so versatile!
Most dinners will consist of a potato side dish, and late-night drunk food and hangover binges usually revolve around this starchy vegetable, too.
1. He loves his mammy – the other woman in his life
The final point on our list of things that tell you you’re dating an Irish man is a love for his mammy – the other woman in his life.
On the bright side, though, this means he’s respectful and family-orientated!
Your questions answered about dating an Irish man
After reading our article about the little signs to look out for to see if you are dating an Irish man, you may still have some questions! Not to worry, for we have you covered here with some of the most frequently asked questions about this topic to us and from online.
What to know about dating an Irishman?
Other things to know about dating an Irishman is that you will laugh a lot, you may be introduced to some form of Catholicism, you’ll become a part of their family, and you may end up speaking like them and adopting their phrases.
What do Irish guys call their girlfriends?
Different names Irish guys call their girlfriends would be ‘stór mo chroí’ meaning ‘my heart’s treasure’, ‘mó ghrá’ meaning ‘my love’, and ‘muirnín’, meaning ‘darling’.
What do the Irish call kissing?
Irish people call kissing a “póg”, as in “give us a póg” or “póigín”.
What age to Irish men marry?
The average age that Irish men marry is around 36.4 years, with brides and grooms both getting older before they marry.