Let’s face it: the Irish news has given us plenty of hilarious moments over the years, many of which still crack us up today. So let’s take a look at the funniest moments we have seen on our screens.
While Irish news – and global news, for that matter – should be taken very seriously, we cannot help but look back at some of the most hilarious moments we have witnessed on Irish TV.
From the man who slipped on ice live on air to the infamous weather report by Teresa Mannion, let’s look at the top ten funniest moments ever on the Irish news.
Be prepared for bouts of laughter!
- Let’s face it: the Irish news has given us plenty of hilarious moments over the years, many of which still crack us up today. So let’s take a look at the funniest moments we have seen on our screens.
- 10. TD curses in parliament – a surprising moment
- 9. Irish farmer’s missing sheep – a strong Kerry accent
- 8. Frostbit – one of the funniest accents ever
- 7. Irish man hates St. Patrick’s Day – brutal honesty
- 6. Little boy falls over – an unfortunate event
- 5. Ursula Mc Carthy’s court report – a hilarious moment on live TV
- 4. Aengus Mac Grianna’s make-up blooper – caught on camera
- 3. Teresa Mannion’s famous weather report – treacherous conditions
- 2. Horse trainer goes viral – an excited trainer
- 1. The man who slipped on ice – an infamous winter scene
10. TD curses in parliament – a surprising moment
Green Party TD Paul Gogarty became a hit sensation when he swore at Emmet Stagg in parliament.
Not only did he surprise us all with his use of foul language, but his immediate apologetic reaction was hilarious, in which he said, “I apologise for my use of unparliamentary language”.
The actual footage itself is age-restricted, so you have to head to YouTube to watch it!
9. Irish farmer’s missing sheep – a strong Kerry accent
Ireland may be a small country, but we sure have a lot of accents, some of which can be difficult for many of us to understand.
One hilarious news report featured an Irish farmer with a heavy accent telling the reporter that he believes over 45 of his sheep were stolen, but the strong Kerry accent had us all in stitches.
8. Frostbit – one of the funniest accents ever
Irish people always love to talk about the weather – it brings people together. And this Irish schoolboy was no different.
During one of the harshest storms on the island, UTV interviewed a local boy, who said he had no choice but to go to school but added, “You wouldn’t be long getting frostbit”, in a thick accent.
7. Irish man hates St. Patrick’s Day – brutal honesty
If there is one thing you can bank on when watching Irish TV, especially the Irish news, it’s the honesty and unpredictability of Irish people.
One of the funniest moments was the reaction of a local Irish man to the St. Patrick’s Day parade, in which most of his opinion had to be beeped out, that went viral.
6. Little boy falls over – an unfortunate event
One of the funniest moments ever on the Irish news aired on TV3 when a young boy was interviewed at the airport, awaiting the arrival of family members.
The hilarity came about when the little boy ran towards his uncle with a welcome sign, only to get knocked over by his uncle’s suitcases.
5. Ursula Mc Carthy’s court report – a hilarious moment on live TV
Irish television is always guaranteed to make the nation laugh, but we rarely expect it from the Irish news. Yet, this court report by Ursula Mc Carthy in 2015 had us all cracking up.
The reporter kept a very straight face as she described an incident in which one man told another, “I’ll eat your liver”.
4. Aengus Mac Grianna’s make-up blooper – caught on camera
It is always quite hilarious when a news reporter is unaware that the cameras are rolling, and this was certainly the case for Aengus Mac Grianna.
The reporter was caught live on air, touching up his make-up, only to realise that the cameras were indeed on, leaving him with a shocked albeit hilarious expression.
3. Teresa Mannion’s famous weather report – treacherous conditions
Whenever stormy weather is predicted, one infamous clip comes to every Irish person’s mind – Teresa Mannion’s dramatic weather report during Storm Desmond.
In 2015, the well-known news reporter became an internet star following this live report, and many remixes and memes followed.
2. Horse trainer goes viral – an excited trainer
We all remember one of the funniest moments ever on the Irish news when a horse trainer whose horse had won told the nation a little too many details.
Tracy Piggot, who was interviewing the man, was heard saying, “You’re going to get in terrible trouble after that one”, while the news anchor apologised.
1. The man who slipped on ice – an infamous winter scene
If there is one moment we can all remember, it is the man who slipped on ice, live on the Irish news. In 2010, an unidentified man was caught falling over during a live weather report, instantly becoming an internet sensation.
Who knew that this unfortunate yet perfectly timed event would provide laughter to the nation for years to come?