Did your favourite tune make our list of the best Christy Moore songs of all time?
There’s no denying the fact that Christy Moore is one of Ireland’s most cherished musicians.
No one was happier than we were when he received the lifetime achievement award at the RTE Radio One Folk Awards.
It isn’t easy to choose a favourite Christy song with such an enormous discography, so we’ve decided to pick our top ten.
Now ‘Ride On’ to discover our very favourite Christy Moore songs, ranked in order of preference. Get ready for a toe-tapping good time.
- Did your favourite tune make our list of the best Christy Moore songs of all time?
- Meanwhile in Ireland’s top facts about Christy Moore
- 10. Joxer Goes to Stuttgart – a good fun tune
- 9. Johnny Jump Up – a good old fashioned drinking tune
- 8. Delirium Tremens – putting playful twists on complex subjects
- 7. Ride On – a powerful tune
- 6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond – a spine chilling number
- 5. Beeswing – a beauty from start to finish
- 4. Back Home in Derry – a rebel song
- 3. Lawless – a fantastic story
- 2. Lanigan’s Ball – a tongue twister of a tune
- 1. Raggle Taggle Gypsy – a traditional tune
- Your questions answered about the best Christy Moore songs
Meanwhile in Ireland’s top facts about Christy Moore
- Christy Moore is one of Ireland’s most famous and influential folk singers of all time. He was born on 7 May 1945 in Newbridge, County Kildare.
- Christy Moore was one of the founding members of the Irish folk band Planxty in the 1970s. Their music still holds sway over Irish ears today.
- Avid listeners of Christy Moore will know that many of the Kildare man’s songs touch on social and political issues, such as human rights, social justice, and history, such as the Spanish Civil War.
- Moore has won many awards throughout his career, such as Irish Meteor Music Awards. He also won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the RTÉ Radio 1 Awards.
- Christy Moore has sold over 960,000 albums during his career. His album Live at the Point sold the most, at 360,000.
10. Joxer Goes to Stuttgart – a good fun tune
This song is all about the lads heading off on a boys’ holiday to the Euros in Germany; what’s not to love?
This song is a great story and will have you laughing at the craic that goes with every lad’s trip abroad.
9. Johnny Jump Up – a good old fashioned drinking tune
Here’s a great one to sing at a session.
It’s about getting plastered on robust cider and getting up to all sorts of devilment. A standard weekend, so.
8. Delirium Tremens – putting playful twists on complex subjects
Yet Christy’s delivery manages to make it sound fun simultaneously. Definitely one of the best Christy Moore songs of all time.
7. Ride On – a powerful tune
This song, written by Jimmy McCarthy, has been covered by many Irish bands, including The Corrs and even Westlife.
We think Christy sings it best every time, though. Ride on, Christy.
6. Shine On You Crazy Diamond – a spine chilling number
Is there anything Christy Moore can’t take on? That’s right; he’s even taken on the likes of Pink Floyd.
Plus, he’s even managed to make it one of the most amazing songs in his portfolio. This one is mesmerizing.
5. Beeswing – a beauty from start to finish
This song stops us in our tracks. It tells the story of a man falling in love with a woman “as fine as a bee’s wing”, who could not be pinned down.
As he says himself, “The song is a beauty to sing”, and it’s certainly a beauty to listen to. It’s one of the most beautiful and best Christy Moore songs, for sure.
4. Back Home in Derry – a rebel song
The Irish are known for their poignant rebel songs, and this one is no different.
This song tells the tale of the Irish setting out to sea to fight in 1803, while the narrator longs to return to his sweet home of Derry.
3. Lawless – a fantastic story
“He was Lawless by name, lawless by nature; he was trouble right from the start”.
We love absolutely everything about this song. There’s no denying Christy Moore is well able to tell a story in a concise space of time.
This one has it all; drinking, illegitimate children, and even a bit of murder thrown in for good measure.
2. Lanigan’s Ball – a tongue twister of a tune
How many words can this man fit into one breath? It’s an impressive song that will get your toe tapping and your head bopping as soon as it starts playing.
Anyone for a quick céilí? The energy in this song makes it one of the best Christy Moore songs, in our opinion.
1. Raggle Taggle Gypsy – a traditional tune
We love the history of this song. Dating back to the 1700s, it was initially a Scottish ballad passed down through the years until it finally reached our favourite singer.
We’re so glad it found him because it was genuinely made for his voice. The song comes alive when he sings this one, making it our favourite of the best Christy Moore songs out there.
Your questions answered about the best Christy Moore songs
You may have some outstanding questions leftover regarding the best Christy Moore songs after reading our article, but that’s okay! For in this section, we have put together some of the most frequently asked questions on this topic to us and from online.
What is Christy Moores most famous song?
Christy Moore has many famous songs, but perhaps among the most famous would be Joxter Goes to Stuttgart, Beeswing, Nancy Spain, Raggle Taggle Gypsy, and Back Home in Derry.
Why is Christy Moore famous?
Christy Moore is famous as he is an iconic folk singer who has been a favourite for Irish people for decades, releasing many influential solo albums, while also forming part of the astonishing Irish folk band, Planxty.
What type of singer is Christy Moore?
Christy Moore is an Irish folk singer. He is also a songwriter and a guitarist.
Does Christy Moore write his own songs?
Christy Moore does a mixture of performing songs written by others, and his own. In his own estimate, he has written around 100 different songs.